Thursday, February 14, 2008
Artificial Sweetner Makes You Fat
WASHINGTON - Using an artificial, no-calorie sweetener rather than sugar may make it tougher, not easier, to lose weight, U.S. researchers said Sunday.

Scientists at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, studied rats that were fed food with the artificial sweetener saccharin and rats fed food with glucose, a natural sugar.

Full Story

Which is also what my nutritionist has been working with me on for the last month or so. Giving up my sweetners. Which go in the coffee, tea, crystal lite, basically all the drinks. She says they make you crave more and more sugars. Additionally she said artificial sweetners are treated the same insulin wise as regular sugars, so it's not helping regulation my metabolism or keep my blood sugar on an even keel.

She recommends switching to stevia, since it is also non caloric, but also rates a big fat zero on the glycemic index.

This weekend we are going out of town and had already planned on stopping by the nearest whole foods to stock up on some supplies. So now we are adding stevia to that list. I'll let you know how it goes.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you are a fellow cookie lover and while you stay pretty much away from them I thought I'd ask you about this... Are you able to eat high fiber, seeds and nuts? I've got this great recipe that uses only a minimal amount of brown sugar to sweeten it. While there is a goodly sum of butter and peanutbutter as a whole it isn't that much when you consider it makes about 5 doz cookies. The rest are dry ingredients all whole grains, seeds and nuts. What say you?

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer